Normally I would give top billing to the fact that this card is in response to this week’s PPA color challenge (and happens to be my color choice challenge!). But I have received heart breaking news from a very dear friend regarding a recurrence of cervical cancer. So, my color challenge design card is dedicated to her and her strength of will to combat this disease once again. I found the images I wanted in the stamp set Rose Wonder. And with this PPA color challenge being so very special to me, the two were merged.
The color challenge stemmed from the colors in Blooms & Bliss designer series paper. I loved the cardstock pack that is also available along side of the DSP (you can see that on page 173 of the annual catalog). I obviously wasn’t the only team designer to like that combination… have you seen the color challenge at Paper Players this week? I think Nance and I were channeling the same color vibes during our decisions. But, as you can see, there is one color difference. Sahara Sand was included instead of Mint Macaron. So, please, play both challenges with different submissions… 🙂
Card Base and Copics:
You probably know that the easel card is my favorite card fold. It seems appropriate when wanting to share the front card panel with a sentiment panel. The large rose and leaves image was stamped with a pigment black ink followed by heating clear emboss powder. That set the stage for coloring with Copic markers. The best match for Sweet Sugarplum was Copic R56. I used R81 and R83 for blending the flower petals. Sahara Sand is a bit more difficult to match with Copics. I finally went with an overcoat of YG91 over W1. A little of W3 in the corners provided more shading.
An OMG Moment:
I used a gifted die cut for my main image without totally understanding the ramifications of the die. I loved the stitched edging and scallops. Totally did not consider what else it might do. After giving such careful coloring for the rose and leaves, I was certainly not prepared to toss the results after the die cut. So, I popped the inside layer with Stampin’ Up! dimensionals and pretended it did not happen.
Remaining details are fairly self evident. The ribbon is vintage Sahara Sand. The sentiments were inked in Island Indigo. I discovered additional leftover pieces of die cut roses and leaves in Sahara Sand and quickly confiscated them to add to my base. The bottom layer of DSP is actually envelope paper that was left over from another project.
As you can see, this color combination holds so many potential and wonderful cards. I hope you will play along with PPA Color Challenge 309. I am soooo looking forward to seeing you in the gallery.
Have fun stamping,
(ring a ding, sweet friend and sister of heart….)